Right now (actually, it has been around one month and a half) I am going through the trouble of buying a new used car here since mine is close to retire. I am like his sixth owner and it has 148,000 miles on it. And it went through overheating, and a lot of good stuff. Once, with the last driver, she was driving on the highway and the front right tire went off. Just unattached, like this. So that side has quite a few bumps.
Here in the US people buy new things fast thought. every day there are millions of new cars being sold. The average number of cars per person and per family is big, and not all of them are being used. So it is not that hard to find a good deal actually. I'm just giving it some time. But now with the recession the number of buyers also went up since people are holding their money more tightly.