Thursday, April 30, 2009

First post worth reading: American Education and culture

Today I and a really nice talk with a friend. It was unexpected and a smart talk (remember, I'm in the united states, smart talks aren't that common). I can't recall all the subjects we got into. Besides the usual conversation with a foreigner about culture and how things are in brazil, we talked a lot about religion and beliefs. That's when I realized it's been such a long time since I talked about philosophy with someone. Or someone that even just mentioned this word. Plus that people here are so enclosed on their religion and beliefs that it's a really picky subject.
I can't really recall how was to talk to people about that in brazil, but just the fact that I had philosophy mandatory since fifth grade and we had a philosophy club already tells something. I think that in the US everything is so easy that people get used to not do their best. If your goal is a decent survivor, you can even work at Krogers or Walmart for your whole life in a small city and you will own and maintain a decent car, decent house, medical insurance. So the goals end up being too reachable. Not having a college isn't that crazy to think about (which is changing now with the recession).
In brazil we had the big tests to get in our "Ivy Leagues", that were great colleges and for free. So everyone had to study like crazy in high school just to be able to know what they were talking about on the test (and not actually pass)
Here in the US, this study hard is called AP classes. And people that take it think that oh my god they are doing such a hard word that their butts should be kissed. It's just a different point of view because the "normal" here is low. So any effort on top of is exeptional.

Note (before I get sued): the comment about AP classes are generalized and does not apply for every person taking AP classes, since many of them do study hard and deserve their credit (or some of them... Actually, a few of them... Ok, a couple...)